Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teddy Sampson

On International Women's Day, I'm celebrating my great great aunt Teddy Sampson, who starred with Pancho Villa in The Life of General Villa while she was still a teenager and 2 years before Villa ordered a cross-border attack on Columbus, NM, which is about an hour and a half from where I live now.
In this photo, it's Teddy on the right and aunt Anne on the left. They were two of my great grandma Mary's sisters.
She later married silent film actor Ford Sterling, and continued to act in silent films for about 10 years. I wonder, did she stop making films because she was she too old - in her late 20s?! - then? She lived all her life in CA and never reconnected with her family back east. Even though I mostly resemble my dad's side of the family, I bear a resemblance to aunt Teddy. Her birth name was Nora, and I was almost named after her.

1 comment:

  1. that is amazing youre related to Teddy. I am the biggest Mabel Normand fan. I came to know of Teddy through Mabel. Whenever I'm in LA I go out to San Fernando Mission and see her say a prayer and leave a flower.

    ReplyDelete