Saturday, May 15, 2010

Solar Cooking at Sundance

As I was struggling with my own mind (take that! and that!) about what deep, philosophical thoughts I could share with my blog community (which so far consists of one person I've told the address of this blog to, who may or may not have yet read it), I remembered that this is about "whatever comes up."

The thought bringing me awake and excited to the keys tonight? I've been beginning to reflect on my family's upcoming journey to the Sundance in July. We go to a Sundance called Little Big Medicine, by Wheatfields, AZ. This will be our third year, and the first time the kiddos and I are going to stay for the whole time of the dance, which is 4 days. Being Taurean, I am obsessed and enthralled with the physicality and logistics of things. Having grown up with little wilderness experience, and giving myself only little bits since then, I am curious and contemplative about the ongoing unknown of spending 4 days camping with my kids. What may seem simple, and is natural and ancient, still takes the mental form of a Rubik's cube to me. I am beginning to enjoy this contemplation rather than be wound up in anxiety over it, as I have before.

What comes up is finding or making a portable sun oven to cook food at Sundance! I have run across solar ovens since I've lived here in the true sunshine state of enchantment, and have eaten some damn good cornbread baked that way. As I thought about propane stoves and cooking logistics for our journey, it suddenly made perfect sense to cook instead in a sun oven.

Now to find or make one, and start some cooking with what's free, plentiful, cleansing, enlightening (literally!) and life-nourishing. I'll be celebrating another revolution around the sun this week with the sun in my heart, and in my food schemings.

1 comment: